On January 1, 2023, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southern Maine (BBBSSM) launched our biggest and most ambitious campaign yet in an effort to recruit more mentors in Southern Maine, especially men. 60 Bigs in 60 Days will be instrumental in expanding our volunteer pipeline, moving Littles off the waiting list, and increasing our brand awareness throughout Cumberland and York Counties.
Given the significant impact COVID-19 has had on youth and families who were already facing challenges, as well as the continued challenge of recruiting male volunteers, the waitlist of Little Brothers continues to grow. Currently, 45 children are waiting to be matched with a Big, 35 of which are boys.
The need for this essential mentoring service for youth is high in our community and the missing component is volunteer mentors. With 60 Bigs in 60 Days, the goal is to have at least 60 new mentors apply by March 1st, 2023.
BBBSSM will host a variety of info sessions throughout Cumberland and York Counties and virtually in January and February. Any community member interested in learning more about the program is highly encouraged to attend one of the below events:
- Tuesday, January 10 from 5:30 – 7:00 PM at Sea Dog Brewing (125 Western Ave, South Portland, ME)
- Wednesday, January 18 from 7:30 – 9:00 AM at Saco & Biddeford Savings (252 Main Street, Saco, ME)
- Thursday, February 9 from 8:00 – 9:30 AM at Gorham Savings Bank (1 India Street, Portland, ME)
- Thursday, February 16 from 5:30 – 7:00 PM at Sea Salt Lobster (660 Main Street, Saco, ME)
- Every Thursday at 12 PM via Zoom
Folks may also visit www.somebigs.org or call 207-773-5437 to start the process of becoming a Big.
Bigs have the ability to change someone’s life for the better and with your help, we will successfully recruit enough mentors to change the lives of at least 60 kids in our community in just 60 days.BE A BIG