Thank you for your commitment to Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southern Maine. Our top priority is the health and safety of our Littles, volunteers, families, and staff. We will continue to monitor developments regarding Covid-19 and adhere to federal, state, and local guidelines to help protect all BBBS program participants and staff.
BBBS of Southern Maine provides the following guidance to our Bigs, Littles, and parents/guardians regarding safe contact for our matches. We ask each match participant to review and confirm your agreement to follow these guidelines by signing below. As always, please contact your BBBS staff with any questions, concerns, or for support in keeping connected.
Communicating about Covid-19 Risk Factors and Deciding to Meet
· In-person outings remain at the discretion of each match and its participants and are not required at this time. Matches not meeting in-person agree to maintain regular communication via virtual, phone and/or written means.
· Each person in the match must assess their health before every in-person outing. Please be open and honest about illness symptoms to protect one another and make the best-informed decision about meeting. Matches should not meet if either party has any of the following symptoms:
· fever, cough, shortness of breath
· chills, muscle pain, headache
· sore throat, congestion, loss of taste or smell, or
· nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
· In-person meetings shall not take place if a Big, Little or another member in either household is diagnosed with Covid-19, or has been exposed to Covid-19.
· If any match party has been diagnosed with Covid-19 or had symptoms, the match should not meet for at least:
· 10 days after symptoms first appeared and
· 24 hours with no fever without the use of fever-reducing medications and
· Other symptoms are improving
· Or a negative Covid-19 test has occurred no sooner than 3 days after exposure
· Fully vaccinated people who have come into close contact with someone with COVID-19 should be tested 5-7 days following the date of their exposure and wear a mask in public indoor settings for 14 days or until they receive a negative test result. They should isolate if they test positive.
· Please visit the CDC website at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html for further guidance on what to do if you are sick, or have been exposed or think you may have been exposed to COVID-19.
Choosing Activities/Outing Locations
If match parties agree to meeting in-person:
- Outings should occur in locations that allow for social distancing.
- Bigs and Littles should avoid crowded places and gatherings.
- Regardless of the Little’s age, each outing and activity must be approved by the Parent/ Guardian ahead of time.
BBBS recommends that match participants wear masks when traveling in a vehicle.
· Bigs should take reasonable steps to disinfect surfaces before and after transporting (cleaning handles, seatbelts, etc.).
· When possible, Bigs should limit transportation to short distances.
· Littles should sit in the back seat of the car, regardless of age, to provide more distance.
The following protective measures are recommended prior to and during each in-person visit:
· Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly before and after the visit. Washing hands and/or sanitizing regularly during outings is encouraged.
· Anyone participating in the visit should adhere to social distancing guidelines
· Refrain from any physical contact, including high fiving, hand holding, hand shaking, or hugging.
· Bigs and Littles should wear masks that cover their mouth and nose during the duration of the outing.
By signing below, I confirm that I have read the agency’s Covid-19 match contact requirements and that I agree to adhere to these requirements. I understand we are not obligated to have in-person contact with our match, and that we are voluntarily choosing to connect in person. I will make decisions based on what is best for the safety, health, and wellness of each person in our match and our families. I realize that despite the safety precautions outlined in this agreement, there remains a risk that I or a member of my family could become infected with Covid -19 through inadvertent contact with an infected person during a visit. I agree to assume this risk and, hereby release and hold Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southern Maine harmless from any injury, illness or loss of life that may be related to such contact.