NOW MORE THAN EVER
We NEED your support. Your gift today, reaps BIG returns.
Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) are key factors in the lives of many children/youths we serve, and oftentimes the greatest obstacle for them to reach their full potential.
ACEs are traumatic events occurring before the age of 18, either a single event or ongoing struggle impacting a child’s safety, security, and trust. Some examples of ACEs are experiencing violence, abuse, or neglect.
Research has proven that caring adults, serving as mentors, have an important role to play as a protective factor for young people who have had traumatic experiences. Mentors can help build resiliency in youth by providing a safe environment, expressing care, helping the young person build trusting relationships, and empowering the youth to use their voice.
Why NOW? Because…
- Isolation caused by COVID-19 has detrimentally impacted youth.
- Maine has the highest percentage of children with mental health disorders reporting numbers of 1 in 4 vs. 1 in 6 nationally.
- Teens and middle schoolers are showing significant increase in levels of depression and anxiety.
- We are seeing an upward trend in suicide attempts and deaths at younger ages.
- Since the start of the pandemic, providers have seen more mental health emergencies in our children/youth.
The research base is strong, the need is clear, and the field is ready. We know now, more than ever, that we can meet many needs of young people through the support of caring adults and continued collaborative efforts of schools, businesses, community organizations, philanthropy, young people themselves, and YOU.
Our goal is to increase active matches by 109% this year and your support will make that possible. On behalf of all children and youth who are looking forward to reaching their full potential…we would like to THANK YOU for your continued commitment and consideration of a gift to the annual fund campaign.